We get this question often:

I am an American living and working abroad. Do I need to file a US tax return?

IRS ShakedownRegardless of where you live now, being a United States citizen requires that you file a yearly tax return with the IRS. Green card holders and all US citizens are required to file a US return, no matter where they live, as long as their income (earned in the US and abroad) is just over $9,000.

Many people wrongly assume that because they are living outside of the United States and have never owed money to the IRS, they simply don’t have to file.  Earning anything over $9,350.00 does require you to file, however.  The US has treaties with many foreign countries that will reduce or even eliminate actual owed tax. You cannot, however, take advantage of these benefits if you don’t file.

If you would like our help, or need to request an extension, simply contact Canner Brody & Yan LLC. at 305-231-2150

Canner Brody and Yan CPA’s is a Florida licensed CPA Firm in Miami FL.  We are a trusted CPA Firm operating for over 65 years.  Very few CPA Firms have operated that long.  To help United States expatriates comply with IRS and State regulations, we provide expat tax services in conjunction with international tax services.

Canner Brody logo


Expatriate Tax Return Services – Miami Tax Accountants